Commission for the Compensation of Victims of Spoliation
Resulting from the Anti-Semitic Legislation in Force during the Occupation

Opening a case-file

Home > Getting compensation > Opening a case-file

how to open a case file ?

Any person, or descendant of a person, who was a victim of material or financial spoliation which occurred during World War II is entitled to apply to the Commission regardless of his or her current country of residence.

When submitting their claim, claimants must state the nature of the spoliations to which their claim relates, whether material and/or bank-related, in order for the Commission to be able to undertake the necessary research in the appropriate archives.

The claimant may act in a personal capacity or on behalf of other heirs and successors (children, brothers, sisters, etc.) of victims of spoliations.

The CIVS groups together claims relating to the same instance of spoliation made separately by more than one member of the same family into a single case file.

It is not necessary to have formal proof in order to file a claim.

Claims for compensation in respect of losses other than material or financial losses, however, do not fall within the remit of the Commission.


To start the procedure simply write to the following organisation by post, fax or e-mail:


Commission for the Compensation of Victims of Spoliation (CIVS)

TSA 20718 75334 PARIS CEDEX 07 - France

Fax: +33 (01 42 75 68 97


Once the claim has been registered the claimant will receive an acknowledgement of receipt accompanied by a questionnaire to be filled in and a power of attorney authorising the Commission to carry out the necessary searches relating to the claimant and the property in question.

Claimants may also download and print out the form (questionnaire, power of attorney, proxy form) and return it by post, fax or email (PDF file).

Submitting the duly completed form will set the Commission procedure in motion.

On returning your questionnaire you will be sent an acknowledgement of receipt and a file number which should be quoted in any correspondence or dealings with the CIVS.

N.B.: the procedure is free and requires no particular formality. However, the Commission procedure can be set in motion by a third party provided with a form of proxy and appointed by the claimant. The Commission would like to point out, however, that the help of a lawyer is not necessary.