Commission for the Compensation of Victims of Spoliation
Resulting from the Anti-Semitic Legislation in Force during the Occupation



The CIVS is moving
- 16/08/17

On October 9th, 2017 the CIVS will move to 20, avenue de Ségur, PARIS VIIe

Smiley face
Smiley face
The CIVS and the diplomatic archives renew a successful partnership
- 19/07/17

On Tuesday 4 July 2017, the Director of Archives of the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs and the Chairperson of the Commission pour l’Indemnisation des Victimes de Spoliations (CIVS – Commission for Compensating the Victims of Spoliations) signed the renewal of the convention that has linked those two departments of the State since April 2016.

Smiley face
Smiley face
The return of The Louvre and the Seine from the Pont-Neuf by Pissarro: a concerted effort that has paid off.
- 21/04/17

In February, the painting by Camille Pissarro The Louvre and the Seine from the Pont-Neuf was returned to the heirs of Max Heilbronn, who founded the Monoprix retail chain in 1932, fought for the French Resistance and was deported in 1944 to Buchenwald before serving as Chairman of the upmarket department store Galeries Lafayette between 1945 and 1971. Placed in a bank safe deposit box, the painting had been spoliated by the Germans during World War II.


The questionnaire for opening a file accompanied by the power of attorney and the proxy form.

contact  CONTACT US

The CIVS is open from Mondy to Friday, 10:00am to 12:00pm and 2:30pm to 4:30pm.
phone number + 33 1 42 75 68 32
adresse20 avenue de Ségur 75007 PARIS


What does the CIVS do ?

The CIVS provides the Prime Minister with the means to provide compensation for the material and financial spoliations that took place in France during the Occupation.

Are bank-related spoliations compensated ?

Bank-related compensation is governed by the Washington Agreement, signed between the French and American governments on 18 January 2001.

How do I submit a claim ?

Claimants must complete a questionnaire, available on this website, stating the name of the victim and the nature of the spoliation that took place.